Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Taking to Twitter

Taking to Twitter

The first three times I signed into Twitter were spread over the course of almost two years. To put it simply, I thought it was stupid. After all, this was a forum for anyone to state their opinion in 140 characters or less. I noticed that tweets that followed news items presented a plethora of unoriginal opinions about the topic.
It wasn't until about my fourth try that I made a discovery. If I followed the right groups and people, Twitter was a powerful tool. I found out that though Twitter was capped at 140 characters, the blogs and articles that connected to it were not capped. I found that in 140 characters people could give a hint as to the content of a given article. If that topic interested me, all I had to do was click the tweet and I was magically taken to information of interest. As I started to be selective in who and what I followed I found myself drawn into a world where connected learners were talking to each other and sharing cutting edge information regarding the world of education.
Yes on the fourth try I became an addict. If you have tried twitter and thought it was stupid, try, try again. I recommend following edugains and George Curous to get started. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment