Tuesday, December 20, 2016

10 Day Digital Challenge


As I have progressed through the digital 10 day challenge I have had the opportunity to reflect on the ways in which I am, and am not using technology in my class, and my own professional development.  I find myself a part of a significant change in education.  Our students are using technology every day, and they are carrying small computers in their pockets that we force them to lock away at school.  We are afraid of the technology, and most parents do not know enough about what their kids are doing with technology.  We all need to move beyond our fears, and we need to embrace the power that technology offers.  We can not hit kids over the head with rules, and then go back to paper and pencil worksheets (as Tanya Avrith suggests).  If we get kids using technology wisely and powerfully to transform the world they will see the power of positive use.  It is unfortunate that most of us are limited by our upbringing in a different era.  I myself often struggle to even imagine what I can do.  I don’t know, what I don’t know.  Connecting with people who want to move forward, and learn is the first step.  We then just have to continually take risks and learn.  That type of risk taking will help us to become good leaders who set the example for our staff and students.  As a leader in a school I need to ensure that the staff that is willing to try new things feels empowered, encouraged and enabled to do so.  I need to let them lead from the middle and not fear failure.  Even when things go wrong, pushing the boundaries is important to moving education forward.  I have to ensure that they have the tools they need and the ability to attend the workshops and conferences that will move them forward in their learning.  I know I will encouraged them to share their learning with the staff (perhaps in small steps - with the most ready to change being inviting to learn and grow).  I need to constantly remind myself that for both staff and students ‘Targets and parameters are the opposite of what works.  The freedom to think and experiment is what sparks creativity and knowledge.’ (paraphrase of Simon Breakspear).  I need to encourage my staff to be open to one another in sharing what they know.  As educators we need to open our doors to our colleagues.  We can not be insular any longer.  Not only should we be sharing our best practices within the building but we should be sharing them with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment